Wednesday, December 30, 2009
When I look back on the year....I remember a few things that I enjoyed...I got accepted to a real college nursing program, I got to see 2 of 3 nieces (& bro, SIL, Uber), Rob got jobs.....When I look toward 2010 I see- stress, a clock ticking down until august, fear of the unknown, I see the usual couple dr & vet visits, maybe we'll actually go to one of the parks, if lucky I'll be able to see my out-of-state family......
The older I get the better at keeping my expectations low aka achievable yet still keeping something to reach for. On a whim I've played the lotto....surely to win nothing but it's up to God, I just bought it to open the possibility lol. And when I thought to myself this morning, "what would you do if u won the lotto?" It wasn't something extreme or luxurious but simply move to a place that doesn't have noisy neighbors and get rob started on his college education. Those are 2 things that I feel pretty good about that even if I don't win the lotto we'll be doing them, just not in 2010....
So I hope everyone has a safe New Years Eve with loved ones and that the New Year brings good health, happiness, and opportunities to us all...
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Saturday, December 26, 2009
So here are a few of my thoughts and whatnot, take it or leave it...
- Christmas- was pretty good, like usual! Mainly got DVD's (20 in total) but am returning one due to the fact that I always bought my husband the same DVD and since i ordred his online, we'll be taking back mine (along with some boots-non-gift). That will be monday when I think it could be "save" to leave the house....lol
- Have you tried any of the after holiday sales? I have a little money from my dad so I may look at Victoria Secret's and of course I'll try to get some bows/bags/wrapping paper to stow away for next year or other occasions. Maybe we'll even find a nice string of greatly reduced LED lights....doubtful...but maybe there be something left to pick through on monday!
- Since the holiday is over, it pretty feels like the year is over but there are still a few days or a week or something like that left. Time to start turning over that new leaf! I haven't made a list of goals but my main goal or focus is to prepare myself for school and just study & pray my way through it...I've heard lots of people say it's difficult so I'll need all the prays I can get....
- Also, just a heads up- First Sunday of Jan there might be 5 coupon inserts! Better grab yourself a paper....
- I'll definately be looking forward to getting my new magazine subscriptions- Southern Living & Cooking Light....and if ya know me, ya know I love to cook! Got a new pastry bag so I can pipe out all kinds of goodies...(was unable to do this for the past few years due to the cats having peed on a bag that had my pastry bags from school in them-ruined!) Can anyone say Eclairs? lol
- Another thing, not so much looking forward to, is I have a big'ole cavity that needs filled before I begin school. I finally conceeded to the fact that it will only get worse and it's better to fix the hole...rather than have to cap it or something more expensive....I love you God but I was not blessed with good teeth....
But at the end of day I know that the most important thing to be is my family and that they are all healthy and taken care of... (by family that includes my "kids" aka Max, Zoey, Ricky, & James)
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Monday, December 21, 2009
Sunday, December 20, 2009
I hope for the Merriest of Christmas' to everyone and a Safe and Happy New Year!
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Friday, December 18, 2009
- Booksfree.com -Similar to NetFlix or BlockBuster's mail rental service, you pay a monthly fee and get to borrow a few books, free shipping.
- Americasbookshelf.com - Has a monthly fee and works on a system where you purchases credits (1 credit-1 book), and you list your books that you will "lend" to others....they mail you the envelope when your book is picked, you just stick it in the mail (more you share the more you can get).
- Bookmooch.com - You mail out books to others (u pay shipping), this earns you points to use towards getting books.
- Betterworldbooks.com - You buy used books and sell your own; plus proceeds will help aid global literacy. Also free shipping in US (reasonable fee for outside); example: Betty Crocker Cookbook New Edition Fair condition $13.73.
Of course there is always the good old fashioned Library, but i know that some people aren't as blessed as i am currently to have a great county library system and one day I may find myself in those less fortunate shoes again...so maybe these options will help enlighten you to a cheaper way to buy or borrow those books rather than buying at full cost.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
- I've got beef stew cooking in the slow cooker (homemade-new recipe)
- Mailed out the last of my packages/cards at post office- went surprisingly fast but still spent $46.??. That meals the holiday shipping cost me about $60 (4 boxed packages, 1 cushy oversided envelope, several -at least 6- singly mailed books). Sure I could have just sent money/gift cards and saved most of that money but I still think that gifts are slightly more personal, plus some of the items I got really good deals so if I had sent the money I spent instead of the item then some people might not get much money, where they might think the item cost me more than it really did....of course they could think it cost less- like the value of my brother's gift (not including shipping the item to my house) is $40....he might not realize that but trust me it wasn't cheap!
- Gonna watch 18 Kids & Counting tonight at 9 pm and Teen Moom at 10, one of, if not THE favorite night of TV shows. I must confess: I love Maci & Ryan and it isn't looking too good for them but I really wish they could work it out and get married and be that sweet and happy lil family. I think she reminds me a little of my friend Kristina, probably why i like her most.
- The only Christmas-y thing I have left to do is cooking....and i'm still unsure of what that will be but did get a ham today.....no more gifts...even already got Rob's Xmas card.....I really hope he remembers to get me mine.....This year I'm not going to remind him....so I might end up with nothing from my Husband....kind of sad saying it out loud but what will be will be...I'm somewhat excited to see him open a few gifts he isn't expecting (few movies -2 are favs, HT outfit, Starbucks giftcard-personalized with a character of him on it) Since I've got no kids nor will i see any child open a gift my main excitement is watching my husband.
- Probably going to copy a few recipes tonight before i make my library trip this week (gotta return a few things) and gonna start some laundry....maybe make something sweet....
Monday, December 14, 2009
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Monday, December 7, 2009
We got a dollar store pet hat, couldn't resist...even if they only wear it for the photos lol Our lil 20 + pound Ricky
Notice the dog biscuit in his mouth, sometimes he saves them to eat later but carries them around the house so no one else can steal it lol
Sunday, December 6, 2009
So it's not just beer that we love from them but their awesome idea that has contributed to one of the top images of the holidays...the christmas tree! :)
Update: They also gave us the Candy Cane! Maybe that silly war never happened so long ago we'd appreciate those German's more!
I currently own a few of these and have used many recipes. In fact most of the cheesecakes I make come from the listed cookbook. I've made things from potato cheese soup to homemade stuffing with just these books. So if you are looking for a cookbook, check one of these out.
It's finally kinda cold here BTW, so I'm making a loaf of classic white bread (from the 1st cookbook on the list). I've only checked this bookout so I'm testing this first recipe but the book offers great recipes and direction on basics. This would be a great book for someone trying to really start cooking homemade and not from a box. It even includes some trouble shooting and photos.
Thursday, December 3, 2009
- I'm now expecting 9 cookbooks ("in transit") from the library omg
- I just got Eclipse, probably will start on it when the hubster goes to work...
- Today & Yesterday combined I've gotten 4 packages. Need one more to have my brother's stuff ready to go, still waiting on a few more to complete packages that will need to be sent! I normally don't mind sending packages but Lee Vista has the worst, seriously worst post office. Just one clerk/check out area, it's usually lined up with people and hot inside. Would consider an alternative but am afraid of findinf the same situation...I just wish I could figure out when they are off-peak so I can sneak in and mail my stuff... not to mention the next time I go I'm trying something new- Media Mail...fingers crossed!
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
This is my current stack of library books (minus the fiction book), trying to hurry along with them because yesterday, as I posted, I added the limit to reserve at my library...so...I checked it this morning and I have 6 cookbooks "in transit" and Eclipse is allegedly here (means it will come probably tomorrow or friday, the rest will take maybe a week)..
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
- I managed a "first" today...I must have hit a cap on how many books I can request from the library at one time b/c after i put in 9 new titles (10 total) the website just wouldn't allow anymore....or maybe it'sa glitch....Speaking of I have a really awesome cookbook on loan from them: Betty Crocker Cookbook New Edition: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today
- Got HBO? Ready for season 4 Big Love? I am so ready, check it out.. Almost one month away, joy! Rob will be so happy that the wait is almost over!
- My newest addiction? Cafe World on Facebook....my dang brother got me into now I can't stop playing it, well I can't let my kitchen not serve people...lol
- Another personal experience: I've been a Sunday only newspaper subscriber for 1 year now, 2 weeks ago the paper offered me a 1 week free trial of Wed-Sun service...last week I got my notice about the subcription ending unless I continue it- they offer me Wed-Sun for $20.50/26 weeks(6 months). So I go online to see what the just Sunday paper would be for me b/c they didn't offer me that on the notice, it's like $26....no brainer...going with Wed-Sun service! Totally weird and crazy!
- Happy December! It's a new month so that means...new coupons on my bar and on other websites. Print!
- Have you considered Ebay as a holiday gift shopping place? I know some might look their nose down upon such a thing but I'm not too good for something that is gotten second hand (as long as it appears in good condition and shoot something son ebay are brand new!). I've been searching for anything Dora the Explorer (cousins Daughter Kayla loves her and they could really use an extra gift or two) as well as some 2T clothes winter clothes (I scored an old navy fleece pullover for under $4 including shipping).