Friday, March 19, 2010

From 7th Heaven to Double ovens...

Take a little journey with me...
It starts with 7th Heaven... I was watching an episode where the oldest Son marries a Jewish girl...long story short-->Jewish people do not/can not eat dairy and meat in the same meal--> this (if to the highest extent practiced) means that Jewish Kosher kitchens should have 2 seperate counter tops, 2 seperate ovens and maybe stoves, 2 seperate set of dishes, utensils, and cooking devices- to ensure that nothing that touches meat touches dairy and vice versa
That seems like a big deal and alot of work so I tried to look up why --> there is a scripture or something in the Jewish text that is something like "don't put a kid in mother's milk" (this is not a direct quote by no means!). And although they couldn't go into detail about "why" just that they simly follow this request or law to a T, those that are super Traditional or Orthodox or whatever they call themselves. --> but there was also some other part taken from another religion or culture that says meat represents Death and Milk =Life and therefore death and life can not mingle. Not in a dish or in the stomach (must wait 6 hours to eat the other). ---> Then I ask myself, what about pork? ---> These dietary rules are set from the old testament, pigs are deemed unsanitary or dirty so no ham for Christmas, so sausage gravy and biscuits and no hot ham & cheese sammys....
So how was the trip? I'm a curious person and luckily I have the Internet to aid me in my pointless yet curious perdictaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment