I found this neat (free) thing that tells you info about your last name....here is some stuff I found out...
- Had more people on the confederate side of the civil war (but some on union too)
- Is English (as in england) origin
- 38% were farmers in 1880 (Nat. Avg. 35%)
- As of 1920 they are a few Radfords' in most states but mainly the eastern half of the country
- Most live(d) in Ohio and Penn but slight amount in most states
- Altered spelling of German "Baer"
- Top place of origin is Germany, followed by Ireland, Scotland, England, & France
- 287 Union service men and 43 Confederate
- in 1880 40% were farmers
- Name origin is South Wales
- Slightly more in the Union but more people served in Civil war (than other 2 names)
- Live in similar places as "Rafords"
- in 1880 38% were farmers
- Origin (several locals) mainly Swedish (as is my MIL madien name= my hubby's a swed!)
- Thousands served both sides of the Civil war (more than the other names I looked up)
- Americanized spelling of "von der Burg" meaning "from the castle"
- the state with the most "Funderburg's" = OHIO (go Ben!)
- Only place of origin = Germany
- in 1880 53% farmers (wow)
- 6 served in the Union, and 23 were Confederates
Check it out Here