Thursday, March 12, 2009

Turkey Thursday

Here is a recipe I found in Taste of Home magazine. It'd called Grilled Aplle Brined Turkey (but i didn't grill mine, just roasted.
2 quarts unsweetened apple juice (i just 1 quart)
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt (i used table salt)
4 oz peeled, sliced gingerroot(i used a tsp or 2 powedered)
15 whole cloves
6 garlic cloves, crushed
3 bay leaves
3 medium oranges (i used 2)
3 quarts cold water
1 turkey 12-14 pounds (mine was 9.5)
2 tablespoons oil

Rinse turkey discard giblets/neck.


Combine first 7 ingredients in large pot and boil until sugar/salt is dissolved. Remove from heat and add oranges.
Add water ( i added some ice to) once brine is room temp add turkey. Place in frig until ready to cook, recommened 24-48 hours. I went with the longest!
When ready to cook I used an oven bag and followed the directions for a turkey of my wieght. Although at thanksgiving I did not used a bag and it turned out fine. But pour oil over the bird before cooking with either method. It took about 2 1/2 hours. I also stuffed 1/2 an orange and a chopped onion into the bird while it roasted.


This is my turkey dinner. The turkey was moist and had a hint of apple flavor to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment