Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Pie




I made a few alterations 
  • Streusel topping instead of pie crust over the apple section (1/2 c flour + 1/2 c brown sugar + 1/2 t cinnamon + 3 T butter)
  • My local store didn't have jarred cherries (& the canned ones were just too $$$) so I cheated and bought premade canned pie filling (next time I'll check another store or use fresh)
  • Pumpkin section I used my own homemade pumpkin puree
  • Crust dams = because some people are just picky and don't want "extra" flavor in their pie
***UPDATE***
So  the pie was good but I would say...

  • Apple - needed more apples. I weighed mine at the grocery store prior to peeling/coring to get near the 2# mark but maybe it should be 2# post prep? I'd definately use more as my husband, the apple pie connoisseur , said "there is no apples"...
  • Pumpkin - section was the thickest or more filled section which was close to normal pumpkin pie thickness/depth
  • Pecan - was thinner or less full than a normal pecan pie, good ratio to pecans vs gooey filling. This was more the thickness of pecan pie bars that I've made in the past
  • Cherry - one can of filling as appropriate (although next time I want to try homemade)
I'd this was a good recipe for a family or if wanting options. I sliced each section into 4 moderate/large pie slices, equaling 16 slices.

1 comment: