Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Christmas Gift that almost wasn't...


A couple weeks ago my husband ordered me a gift. It hadn't come yet so he checked the status on the retailer's website. It was sent to an address that we lived at 10 years, maybe a couple miles from our current house. I suppose my husband was "click happy" and didn't bother to read the shipping address. We went to the post office to see if it might be there. We went to the old house but no one answered. We didn't leave a note but decided to see if the retailer had gotten it back. While they had not they were very nice with working with us to fix the problem, even giving us free 2-day shipping so the replacement could arrive before Christmas.

So, I thought that was the end of story. But this afternoon someone came to our house and handed the package to my mom, saying they opened it figuring it would be someone's gift and checked the billing address. 

I don't know who lives in our old house and they certainly owed us nothing. It was a simple mistake. They could have kept it or returned to sender. So I just want to say thank you & God bless those with an honest heart and the kindness to deliver a gift to the correct house. While the gift of this item is a material possession I could live without, the true gift is knowing there are still good people in the world, in America. 

So don't get too caught up in the materialism of the holidays but remember to be kind, compassionate, and giving. Those gifts will outlive any material item. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment