Friday, September 3, 2010

I survived the first week of nursing school.....

... but what about week 2?
So nursing school is the hardest, toughest thing because (at least for me) I really must devote 95% of my time to school related activities. Whether it be attending classes, setting up lab times for practice & demo check-offs, or studying, reading chapters, working on terms, and D.A. (basically drug math).
I have to say that I probably wouldn't be able to do this without my husband (or the financial assistance that allows be to spend all my time on school). Rob has offered to do the dinner and dishes Mon-Wed (maybe Thursday too) since I'm non-stop busy and those are his light or off days at work. Max even hurt himself this week and he took my dog to the vet for me. This made me happy but stressed too because i love my max and want to be there for him. Nursing school is like a lifestyle... I'll have to neglect alot of avenues of my former life just to attempt success at school.
Will I make it? I don't know but I'm giving it all I have and I hope & pray that it pays off/works out. I've basically given up on following my TV shows, maybe I'll catch a re-run on the weekend if i have a break in studies or something. I do still watch True Blood an Big Brother- although both those shows will end soon. I'm in bed my 9 or 10 and up my 5:30-6:30 just so that I am at school before classes and get an OK parking spot.
Everyone says it is hard and you believe them when they say it but "hard" is just skimming the top of what it is really like. Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion but that is how it is for me. I do have to study all the time or I won't know my stuff. I can't just read it once and know it for life, lucky for those who can. So back to my terms, then maybe I'll actually start reading my 8 chapters over my long weekend.
And if I had my late checks then I'd print up a bunch of stuff....
Also I passed my hand washing skill & PPE skill... coming up skills:
Vital signs
Sterile field
Neuro/cardiac/vascular assessments
Wound care
Bed bath
Transporting clients
making a bed
TED hose
Ostomy care
Catheters (all 3 types)
Enema
Physical restraints
Spirometry
Medication applications (topical/inserts/drops)
And then I get 3 days with an eldery person ...

1 comment: